Onomatopoeias & Songs as Pet Nicknames (yes, I'm weird)



I've always loved onomatopoeias, even though I didn't know there was a word for them until recently. I've nicknamed quite a few pets with onomatopoeias: Poppy, my slug-eating cat that would always come running whenever she saw me pick up a garden tool, learned her nickname: "pop pop pop", with me smacking my lips open and closed to make the sound.

Of course I was tickled pink to find a fun onomatopoeia search engine hyuk hyuk hyuk ^_^

Sometimes I couldn't come up with a sound-nickname, so I'd use a rhyme or part of a song, like using the skip-rope song for Teddy Bear (who'd kidnap other cat's babies, so every time I heard a baby kitty crying, I knew I had to take the kidnapped baby back to it's mother to nurse, then Teddy Bear would kidnap it back until next feed time).
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, turn around,
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, touch the ground,
Teddy Bear, Teddy Bear, you're a clown!
(DH contributed the last line LOL)
Instead of an onomatopoeia nickname for our current young cat named RB (short for Rocket-Butt), I came up with an onomatopoeia for his favorite game: Kerpow, which sounds like a mouth explosion -- I kick my foot up about two foot high in front of him while making the Kerpow sound. He'll jump high in the air to try to catch my foot, then he'll run up and down the hall full speed (Rocket Butt haha). Then I'll "kerpow" him again, over and over, until he's worn out.

I am working on a song-nickname for RB, and I think he's starting to respond to it; it's based on the song Lover Boy, from Dirty Dancing (starting at 57 sec):



aRBie...kitty aRBie...kitty aRBie...something something something
meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow, meow
(imitating the twangs from the musical instrument)

I'm going to put this song into DH's head, so hopefully he'll help me with the something something something part. If I just ask him, DH won't play LOL, but if I sing the song to RB in front of DH, then complain how I can't come up with anything for the something something something part, DH will come up with a funny filler eventually ^_^

No comments: