First homemade ice cream: Hazelnut Chocolate Chip

Even though I received a Cuisinart ice cream maker for my birthday, I chose PLAY AND FREEZE™ ice cream recipes because there's no eggs or cooking of custard. And they use half and half, which thrills me because I recently discovered Oak Farms' Half & Half doesn't contain carrageenan, which causes me severe pain and inflammation of my lower intestine - that's why I asked for an ice cream maker, because it's near impossible to find ice cream without the dreaded seaweed (carrageenan).

I had the ingredients on hand to make the Hazelnut Chip ice cream; I put everything but the chips into a 2 quart measuring cup and whisked it, then poured it into my ice cream maker. After twenty minutes, I poured in the chocolate chips and ran it for five more minutes.

Hazelnut Chip
1 pint of Half & Half
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/3 cup sugar
2 tablespoons of Hazelnut Syrup (used to flavor lattes) - I used Torani
2 tablespoons chocolate chips

Because it's been almost two years since I've enjoyed ice cream, we finished the entire batch in one sitting! I didn't freeze it afterwards - the ice cream was like soft serve. I'm thinking of adding a small package of chopped Ferrero Rocher candies to it, or making a Nutella sauce next time.

I'm very pleased neither of us missed the eggs, because I know I'd make less ice cream in the future if I always had to cook custard first.

Here's some flavors we're wanting to try next:
  • Key Lime with broken Graham crackers (DH)
  • Pumpkin with broken gingersnaps or candied pecans and maple sauce
  • Ginger with chai-granola
  • Maple Caramel Swirl with apple-raisin sauce and cinnamon croutons
  • Carrot Cake Ice Cream
  • Dark chocolate with bananas and strawberries
  • Chocolate with Andes candies (DH)
  • Not sure it'll work, but I'm going to try soaking a few Celestial Seasonings Bengal Tea bags in the Half and Half overnight, then swirl in marmalade and chopped orange candies in the last 5 minutes.
DH is shopping right now, so I texted him a list of ingredients to make some of the above flavors. OMG I forgot to add the Nutella, so I had to call him ROFL

No comments: